Because they are made from corn, many people assume that tortilla chips are vegan. Some types are made only of corn flour, water, oil, and salt, which does make them a vegan-friendly snack. While this may be true of some tortilla chips, however, others are made of lard instead of oil, which is definitely not on the menu.
Even if they are made with a vegan-friendly oil, many tortilla chips contain ingredients which are potentially non-vegan. Cheese powders, for example, could be made from dairy-based cheese, or they could contain nutritional yeast instead. Which is true would determine whether or not they are a part of this lifestyle.
Ranch powders are another ingredient that is usually dairy-based. Artificial colors or flavors, and even natural flavors and sugars can sometimes be non-vegan ingredients. While there are many vegan-friendly tortilla chips on the market, we are going to explore how to make our own, so that we know exactly what is in them.
These oil-free, gluten-free, vegan tortilla chips only use three ingredients and are perfect for when you’re craving something savory and salty, but don’t want to end up munching down on unhealthy snacks. They only take around 15 minutes to make, and are crispy, crunchy, and perfect all alone or with a spicy vegan salsa.
What Makes Them Amazing?
What makes these homemade vegan tortilla chips some of the best? Well, let’s see, they are
- Oven Baked
- Satisfy Salty/Savory Cravings
- Customizable w/Almost Any Dip
- Ready in 15 Minutes
- Awesome for Game Day or Party Snacks
How often do you find a healthy, low-calorie, gluten-free, vegan snack that the whole family loves?
What You Will Need
- Corn Tortillas; make sure that they are made with corn and vegan-friendly oil only and not with any added sugar, natural flavors, or any ingredients that may not be vegan.
- Salt; add according to your own dietary needs and taste preference.
- Lime juice; to help the salt stick to the chips and give them a tasty twang!
- Baking Sheet; line it with parchment paper.
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
How to Make the Vegan Tortilla Chips
- Turn your oven on to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius. Let it preheat while you prepare the tortillas.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stack several tortillas on top of each other on your cutting board. Cut them like you would a pizza, into six, equal triangles.
- Repeat step 3 until all of your tortillas have been cut into triangles.
- Place your tortilla triangles onto the parchment paper in a single layer.
- Spray the tortilla triangles with lime juice (or lemon if you prefer).
- Sprinkle them with salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven for around 10 minutes, watching carefully in case they are ready sooner. After 5 to 7 minutes, make sure that they are heating evenly and won’t need to be flipped. Over time you will learn your oven and know exactly how long it takes.
- Once they have reached the crispy deliciousness that you are craving, remove them from the oven, let them cool a bit, and serve with your favorite dip or salsa.
You will get the best flavor and consistency within an hour or two after baking the tortilla chips. However, they can be stored in an airtight container for a few days if desired.
Other Flavorful Ideas
You might decide to flavor the chips with other seasonings, such as chili powder, cayenne pepper, Italian herbs, soy sauce, garlic powder, chipotle powder, cumin, curry, or black pepper.
These baked vegan tortilla chips would be terrific served with hummus, tofu ranch, guacamole, vegan cheese sauce, cashew sour cream, buffalo sauce, mango salsa, tomato salsa, beans dips, and many other vegan treats. Let your imagination run wild.
What if you aren’t craving salty and savory, but instead you have a sweet tooth that’s about to blow your healthy eating habits out of the water? No worries, this recipe has you covered. While everyone may have their own way of making it, the base for the tortilla chips will be the same as before.
Preheat your oven, this time to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper, and cut up your tortillas the same way that is described in the recipe above. Instead of salt and lime juice, you will need;
For the tortilla chips, mix together
- Sugar in the Raw, or coconut sugar, just a couple of tablespoons
- A tablespoon of cinnamon
For the Peach Blueberry Salsa
- A quarter cup of orange juice
- Another tablespoon of your chosen sweetener
- A teaspoon of lime juice
- A teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 2 cups of chopped peaches
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 6 mint leaves
While the oven is preheating, you can prepare the tortilla chips.
- Arrange the sliced tortilla triangles on a cookie sheet.
- Spray the tops of them with coconut oil cooking spray.
- Sprinkle them with sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned and crispy.
- In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the Peach Blueberry Salsa.
- Serve with warm tortilla chips.
Make the Recipes Your Own
While these recipes for baked vegan tortilla chips are delicious just the way they are, you can easily make them your own to satisfy almost any craving, or fit into almost any party, game day, or gathering. You can play around with different seasonings, dips, vegan cheeses, etc.
You can also use vegan chocolate hummus, vegan coconut whipped cream, fruits, and other vegan-friendly sweets to partner with the cinnamon baked vegan tortilla chips. You can even change the cinnamon for cocoa and add nuts, sliced bananas, and strawberries for a banana split tortilla dessert..
Topping the cinnamon chips with sliced, cooked apples or peaches and adding a dollop of coconut whip cream can create your very own apple pie or peach cobbler baked vegan tortillas.
The ideas are virtually limitless. Using the baked vegan tortilla chip as a base, you can create snacks, meals, and desserts that the entire family will go crazy over!
- Baked Vegan Tortilla Chips – Simple Recipe - May 6, 2022
- 16 High Protein Vegan Snacks to Stay Fueled Through the Day - May 4, 2022
- 6 Delicious Vegan Dumpling Recipes - May 4, 2022