Whether it be as a way to refresh on a hot day or simply as part of a healthy lifestyle, fresh fruit is a delicious and healthy way to provide our bodies with an influx of essential minerals, vitamins, and nutrients that we need to maintain healthy functioning.
But, is it okay to combine certain fruits with each other?
Even though we all know that we should be getting your five a day, many people often wonder whether or not they should mix different categories of fruit together at the same time – such as pineapple which is acidic in nature, and watermelon which has very high water content.
This is where we come in to lend you a helping hand! If you’re currently wondering about whether or not you should pair pineapple with watermelon, we are going to be taking a closer look at the two to decide whether or not they are a combination that works well together or is best avoided.
Can Pineapple And Watermelon be Eaten Together?
As we have already briefly touched upon above, even though there aren’t any rules when it comes to eating fruit – there are often some guidelines that are worth being aware of to ensure you are able to enjoy your fruit.
As a general rule of thumb, it is recommended that you avoid mixing highly acidic fruits with sweet fruits, as this can interfere with the digestive process.
When it comes to watermelon and pineapple, many people agree that these two types of fruit can be enjoyed at the same time without any problems.
However, due to the higher water content of watermelon, this means the body will likely digest the watermelon faster than the pineapple.
For this reason, if you have digestive problems, you might find it better to eat these two types of fruits separately.
How To Eat Watermelon And Pineapple
Now that you know that pineapple and watermelon can be eaten together, you might now be wondering how you can combine them together.
Below, let’s take a look at some of the best ways that you can eat pineapple and watermelon together:
- Mix into a fruit salad: The first way that you can enjoy watermelon and pineapple together is by mixing fresh pieces of both watermelon and pineapple together into a fruit salad. Along with adding watermelon and pineapple to your fruit salad, you can enjoy a variety of other fresh fruits in the salad to make it more vibrant, delicious and healthy.
- Make a juice: Another interesting way that you can eat watermelon and pineapple together is to mix them together into a healthy juice. This is one of the most convenient and healthiest ways to enjoy these two fruits, as blending them together into a juice will help to ensure that your body gets an influx of vitamins, minerals, and much-needed nutrients.
- Add to a smoothie bowl: Along with combining your watermelon and pineapple into a juice and fruit salad, you can also opt to add watermelon and pineapple into a smoothie bowl that you can enjoy any time of the day. The best part about this option is that you can add a variety of other fruits that you might like to enjoy, such as strawberries, apples or grapes.
Benefits Of Watermelon And Pineapple
Let’s take a look at some of the top benefits that you can expect to get from incorporating watermelon and pineapple regularly into your diet:
- Antioxidants: Both watermelon and pineapple are extremely high in antioxidants, which is something that is able to effectively fight free radicals which can cause premature aging. In addition to helping to slow down any signs of accelerated aging, antioxidants can also help to give your immune system a boost, which will help to lower the chances of developing any diseases too.
- Packed full of nutrients: Another huge benefit of eating watermelon and pineapple is that both are full of essential nutrients that will help to aid in the healthy functioning of our bodies, as well as to help maintain optimum cognitive functioning, too.
- May help to aid in digestion: In addition to being high in antioxidants, as well as being enriched with nutrients, another benefit of watermelon and pineapple is that both can help to aid in the digestion process.
- Can help muscles recover after exercise: Last but certainly not least, another benefit of eating both pineapple and watermelon is that they may be able to help aid in the healing process of muscles after exercising or even from a surgery. This makes them ideal for eating after exercise, or while recovering from an injury.
The Bottom Line
All in all? There’s plenty of people that enjoy mixing watermelon with pineapple, and the combination can easily be enjoyed in a variety of different ways – including in a fruit salad or even as part of a healthy smoothie.
With that being said, due to the high water content of watermelon and the acidic nature of pineapple – mixing the two isn’t necessarily a natural combination.
So, with that being said, if you tend to suffer from digestive issues or if it’s something that you would like to try and avoid as much as possible while getting your 5 a day, then mixing watermelon with pineapple might be something that you should avoid doing.
Thank you for reading this article, we hope that this guide has been helpful!