The following potato and rice dish uses spices such as turmeric and cumin to give it a wonderfully fragrant taste.
This dish can also be cooked in under 30 minutes using everyday ingredients. The seasoned rice perfectly fuses with the cream-laden potatoes, and this dish is entirely gluten-free and vegan friendly.
If you are a lover of all things potato-based, then you cannot go wrong with the following recipe.
This is a meal that is packed full of much-needed carbohydrates that will greatly enhance your energy levels and palate.
It is a specifically Pakistani and Indian recipe that is otherwise known as aloo pulao. You will be stunned at how well this recipe works alongside a main meal.
To make potato rice, you will need the following ingredients:
- Oil – Sunflower or vegetable oil is preferably the best type of oil to use.
- Onion and Garlic Paste – In order to add an abundance of flavor to the potato rice, you will need to use this paste.
- Potatoes – Using any variety of potato will work with this dish. This recipe uses agria potatoes, however, you can use red, baby, russet, gold, or yakoon potatoes instead.
- Rice – You can also use any form of rice. However, using basmati rice is recommended. It is also advised that you use vegetable stock to cook your rice as this will provide enhanced flavor.
- Seasoning/Spices – In order to properly season this dish, you will need to use chili powder, salt, cumin seeds, and turmeric powder. These can be replaced with any seasoning that you prefer.
- Chilies – A handful of green chilies can be added in order to give this dish more spice.
How To Make Potato Rice
You can whip up this fantastic dish using only a handful of ingredients. Also, there is very little preparation that is required in order to make this recipe.
All that you need is 30 minutes and a single pot to cook your concoction of potato and rice.
- Firstly, wash and soak your rice in a large bowl. You should ensure that you have washed your rice thoroughly until the water has run clear. This is because rice can become mushy if it has not been washed properly.
- Next, peel and chop some onions.
- After this, peel and cut your potatoes. You should aim to cut them into 1×1 inch sized cubes. Try to chop them into a similar size and shape in order to cook them evenly.
- After your ingredients have been prepared, begin by heating some oil in a wok, before frying your onions until they have become translucent.
- Then. Add a single tablespoon of garlic pasta and continue to try until your onions have become golden.
- Next, add your cubic potatoes and fry them for a further 3 minutes.
- Once they are fried, add your seasoning alongside your green chilies.
- Add some vegetable stock and stir thoroughly. Continue to heat until it has reached boiling point.
- Once the stock begins to bubble, turn down the heat to a medium setting and add in your drained rice. Stir together thoroughly.
- Place a lid on your pot and allow the ingredients to cook together for 15 minutes until the liquid has become completely absorbed.
- Turn off the heat entirely without removing the lid and leave the pot to steam for a further 10 minutes.
- Finally, lift the lid and stir your rice using a fork. Add some extra seasoning if required before serving.
What Should I Serve Alongside Potatoes And Rice?
This dish works wonderfully as a meal on its own. However, it can also be the perfect side dish for a traditional feast.
This can also be served alongside some fresh salad and a selection of sauces. This is also an amazing side dish for lentil curries.
You should ensure that you wash your rice consistently in order to remove any excess starch or unwanted debris that may result in your rice becoming clumpy or sticky.
Rinsing your rice in a mesh strainer is a great way to ensure that it is washed properly.
You should always aim to use a 1:2 ratio. Thus, if you are cooking a single cup of rice, you should use 2 cups of stock or water accordingly.
You should also ensure that you have bought your stock or water to the boil prior to adding your rice.
Be careful not to stir your rice whilst it is cooking. This is because stirring it repetitively can break down the grains and cause it to become mushy.
Most importantly, you should ensure that you have turned off the heat and allowed your rice to steam for 10 minutes whilst covered. Keeping the lid on the pot is crucial to this steaming process.
When testing whether your rice is cooked appropriately, you should use a thin spatula or a fork in order to gently lift it and ensure that the grains do not become clumpy and stuck together.
How Do I Store And Reheat Potatoes And Rice?
This recipe can easily be made in larger quantities and it will remain well for some time when stored properly.
You merely need to freeze this dish in an airtight container, and ensure that you properly reheat it using a microwave oven at a later point.
This is the easiest way to ensure that your rice remains fresh and safe to eat.
If you are storing your concoction in zip lock bags, then you should ensure that you have removed any air from the bag prior to sealing it.
Then, you can store it in a refrigerator for a week prior to it becoming inedible. Sprinkling water on top of pre-cooked rice is the best way to reheat it.
You should also ensure that you stir your rice when reheating it to ascertain whether or not it is reheated properly prior to consumption.
What Are Some Variations Of This Potato And Rice Dish?
Some variations of this delicious potato rice include the following:
- Add some arrows, peas, and corn with your potatoes for added flavor.
- Use taco seasoning as opposed to using turmeric or cumin for contrasting tastes.
- Sprinkle on some roasted nuts to add some crunch to this dish.
- Add some fresh herbs like coriander, basil, and mint in order to enhance the taste of this dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Happens If You Only Eat Potato And Rice?
Both rice and potatoes are rich in carbohydrates.
Therefore, if a person only consumes these two ingredients on a regular basis, they will not receive other essential nutrients like healthy fats, minerals, vitamins and proteins.
Therefore, it is important to eat this dish as part of a wider and balanced diet, as all of these nutrients have key roles to perform.
If a person only eats potato and rice, they will begin to develop structural abnormalities.
What Do Potatoes And Rice Have In Common?
Both of these ingredients have a high glycemic index. This means that they are easily transmuted into glucose in the body, which causes a rise in insulin levels and blood sugar.
This means that you can feel hungry soon after you have consumed these foods.
Therefore, it is crucial that you eat this dish as part of a wider balanced diet, or serve it as a side dish in order to have a more wholesome meal overall.
What Is Better For You: Rice Or Potatoes?
Depending on the method of cooking, potatoes tend to be considered the healthier option as they contain many macronutrients.
They are also lower in calories and contain more fiber than specific types of rice. However, both ingredients tend to contain the same amount of protein.
What Is The Healthiest Variety Of Potatoes?
The healthiest potato is the red potato. This is due to the vitamin density, the macronutrient density, the mineral density, and the sodium-to-potassium ratio found within potatoes.
Red potatoes have been considered the healthiest type of potato by the USDA Food Database.
Cooked potatoes of all kinds are notably easy to digest. Sweet potatoes are also good for the digestive tract because they consist of insoluble fiber that helps to aid your digestive system and promote its health.
Is It Healthy To Eat Potato Rice?
As both rice and potatoes contain numerous nutritional benefits, it is healthy to eat this dish in moderation as part of a wider, more balanced diet.
The oil that you use and the size of your portion should also be taken into consideration when consuming potato and rice.
To conclude, potato rice is a phenomenal dish that is layered with spice and tantalizing flavor. This dish can also be easily prepared and cooked with minimal hassle.
All that is required are a handful of staple ingredients, and a number of spices. This dish can be served on its own, or as a side dish for a larger meal.
You can also use taco seasoning in place of turmeric if you prefer, as turmeric can be an acquired taste.
This dish is perfect for vegans and those who are gluten intolerant, as there is no wheat products used in its formation.
Using red or sweet potatoes is also an option for those who want to promote their digestive health, as it has been proven that these forms of potato aid the digestive tract greatly.
Thus, the possibilities are endless when it comes to concocting this fantastic, spice-laden dish.
You should consider serving this dish alongside ingredients that contain protein, as there is very little protein contained in this dish.
Therefore, incorporating vegan food products that contain protein is a great way of ensuring that you receive the maximum nutritional benefits.
You can also add some spinach to this dish in order to enhance its nutritional value. Spinach blends perfectly with the flavor of this potato rice, and you will reap the rewards of having a healthy digestive system.
Remember, if you are cooking this dish in bulk, then you should ensure that you store it in airtight ziplock bags if you are planning on eating it within a week.
If you want to store this dish for a longer period of time, then you should ensure that you store it in an airtight container prior to freezing.
It is crucial to make sure that you have reheated rice thoroughly and consistently using a microwave oven, you should also stir your rice to ensure that it has been reheated properly.
However, stirring rice during the initial cooking process is not recommended as this can cause the grains to break down and become sticky. Thank you for reading.